Sunday, April 15, 2007

Crucify This

The phenomena of "The Family Guy" is spreading like wild fire. The inuendos, the political un-correctness, and character developement make this show one of more recent heavy weight comedies. Most every young person has seen at least one episode or heard someone quote a memorable line. Surpassing even the controversies of Simpsons, many people have dubbed Family Guy to be as shocking as South Park, but with a more cult-like following. Family Guy has projected what people interpret as highly controversial messages, especially regarding religion. My fiance and I have collected all of the series and watch it on a fairly consistent basis and one of our favorite episodes is called "North by North Quahog" and includes one of the most outright jokes about Christianity.
Both my fiance and I are Christians but we still find this to be hilarious. I love all the little details that make it simply hilarious like when Jesus is driving the car and his license plate says WWID (what would I do, a play on the popular WWJD bracelets) and making fun of Chris Tucker, the dork from the Rush Hour movies. I am not offended by the message in the least bit and find myself rewinding and rewatching this part several times whenever we watch it. My dad, though slightly amused, thought that it was blasphemous and thought it was making oververtly offensive statements. I think that everyone will have a different view of what Family Guy means to them but for my fiance and I, it equals hilarious entertainment.

1 comment:

Fu said...

I love family guy, it is just too bad that I don't get to watch them anymore. Chris Tucker is a funny character, and of course they are making fun of him with this "Rush Hour" like video with Jesus. Family guy is like a wild fire, it's unstoppable. I like shows that makes fun of anything, people who are usually offended by this show should just lighten up a bit. The voice over for Chris is great, they actually do sounded like him. Hahaha keep this kind of comedy coming.